Friday, July 5, 2013

Oh Theatre!

This is going to be a brief post, but I wanted to share my thoughts with you wonderful folks who read our humble blog.

Tuesday, Rebecca, David Sweet (Richard), Erinn Sweet (our fantastic stage manager), a few others (including Lisa Sweet, Dave's lovely wife) and I went to the The Barter Theater in Abingdon, Virginia to see a staged version of Les Miserables. It was, in a word, spectacular! The set was great; the costumes were great; the acting was superb!

But, all the while I was watching this magnificent dramatic representation of the restorative power of grace, I was thinking that we here at The Wildwood Theatre could pull off a show that was just as good - eventually. Rebecca even asked during intermission, "Do you think we could do this?" To which I replied, "Absolutely!"

So, what do we need to put on a show like what we saw at the Barter?

YOU!

We need your talents, your devotion, and your support. There is no reason, with all of the talent in this area, why great community theatre should be an impossibility. It's not! And I think we're proving that. I've been watching what Rebecca and the amazing company of actors and stage folks have been doing with my child (or play; I see no difference, as both come into the world painfully and both bring pleasure when you see them grow). I am so impressed! I have every reason to believe that even without former Broadway stars and expensive set budgets, this show is, at the core and throughout, REAL THEATRE!

It may sound self-serving, but honestly folks, come see this show! It's going to be grand! Just grand!

As a writer and as a lover of the dramatic arts, I can't wait to see the final product!

No comments:

Post a Comment